The world is on fire -literally. Nations and her citizens, are looking for ways to quench this sadness but man’s limitation is ever so prominent. Although our hands can no longer touch, we are hoping our stories can.
Syncity NG presents Poetry in the time of Corona as the theme for this year’s anniversary anthology. We believe that every poem is a story and every story is a poem. Even in times of deadly viruses with not-so-deadly names, sharing our truth and uniting our community through songs and stories is the best way to dispel the doom and make it through the gloom.
Basically, we are searching for pockets of hope wrapped in poetry and non-fiction.
Our second anniversary anthology will not only bring relief in troubled times like these, it will provide succour and give us hope until COVID-19 blows over.
The competition/anthology will take an exciting new format:
1. A call for poetry submissions. (For last year’s anthology, we were partial to fiction) . This year, we would like to see poetry that reflects the present circumstances of Corona Virus. We are also open to non-fiction quarantine or self-isolation stories. Fiction is NOT applicable.
2. Send entries to the submissions portal on syncityng.com with the subject ‘Poetry in times of Corona’.
3. Follow Syncity NG on Twitter and Instagram because your entries will be posted on these platforms for public voting. To validate your entry, post the official flier on your social media and tag Syncity NG. This is to encourage others to share their stories and look forward to better times ahead. Do not give out any information about your poem or story.
4. Your entry will be posted anonymously on all our social media platforms. People will vote for the best story based on merit. Do not solicit for votes. Public voting will be supplemented with judges voting.
5. The winning entry for each round will proceed to the grand finale. All winning entries(top 10) will be compiled in an anthology to be guest-edited by a renowned poet/storyteller.
6. The top 3 entries, after all rounds will be awarded cash prizes.
7. Entry closes on the 10th of April. Winners will be announced on Easter Monday.
First prize: N25, 000.
Second prize: N15, 000
Third prize: N10, 000
The top ten entries will be compiled in an anthology.
*We will accept only original poetry/non-fiction entries related to COVID-19.
*Works published elsewhere will not be accepted. If you have published the story on your social media page or blog, please take it down before submitting.
*Submit one entry only. Multiple entries will lead to disqualification.
*Submission is open to all Africans, both published authors and unpublished.
*No submission fee.
*Submit only through our Submissions portal. Email submissions will not be acknowledged.
*Entries will be judged via public voting and by judges.
*Place other identifying information in the Submissions portal including names and social media handles.
*Poems should not be more than 15 lines. Non-fiction should not be more than 1500 words.
*Subject- ‘Poetry in times of Corona’ before Entry title. Submit document ONLY in Microsoft Word format. No PDFs.
*Deadline for submissions is April 10. Other information will be communicated via our social media pages.
The moment we start receiving entries, we start posting on our social media pages until all stories have been posted/April 10, 2020.
The top 10 poetry and non-fiction entries will be published in our second anniversary anthology, so by submitting, all shortlisted writers acknowledge that they will be published in the anniversary anthology. Rights to the published stories remain with the writers. Other worthy stories that do not make the anthology will be published on the blog.
For enquiries and questions, email email@example.com or ask us on Twitter and Instagram @syncityng.
Follow us on all social media platforms or join our Telegram channel for live updates.
Spread the word! Share this post!